Sunday, June 12, 2011

[Littlewitch] Quartett! Review

This is the first VN of the summer that I've managed to finish (I know, it's kind of pathetic) and I think the easiest way to describe this VN is that it' short and (sugary) sweet.

Quartett is a musical themed visual novel that is all about teamwork and working hard and persevering together. Underneath these heartwarming values lies some decent background character development that many VNs far longer than this one (Quartett only took me about 10 hours to read total) seem to be lacking.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By zonnikku at 2011-06-12

[Graphics + CG ]\\ Quartett is unique in visual presentation in that it presents everything in manga style and it really moves the flow of dialogue quite well. Another thing to note about this VN is that there are TONS of event CGs. Almost every single event has a unique image for it rather than a static sprite and that was definitely a refreshing change of pace after playing so many VNs with sprites that don't do much of anything.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By zonnikku at 2011-06-12

I played the PC version, so of course there were hentai CGs in the game. They only occurred at the very end of the game, with 2 hentai scenes for each girl total. The scenes themselves weren't too bad, and I felt rather than being tacked on they were actually pretty fitting to the story line (though Shunhua's were a little... ehhh). I also liked that the 2 side characters get there own H-scene which is pretty hard to find (unless you play NTR).

H-scenes aside, the artwork in this game is stunning, as are all littlewitch games. The watercolors and thin lines give off a certain feeling that many VN don't have.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By zonnikku at 2011-06-12


[Story] \\ The story is about the main char named "Phill" who's is discovered to have a hidden talent for playing the violin after playing for a church. He is asked to join a Conservatorium and to instruct a quartet full of girls after their original "leader" Sophie leaves to pursue a more professional career. Thus begins the story of teamwork and fun times. :P

[Sound/Music ] \\ The music in this game is obviously great, it being a music-themed VN and all. I enjoyed not having my ears raped for once by bad electronic bloops that a lot of eroge have these days and instead hearing calming violin and piano pieces. Despite the great music, this game is lacking in variety of music itself. I was hoping there would be more, but I guess this game is a bit short to include so much music. PC version has no voices, so I can't comment on that (but it does downgrade the experience for me a bit, sadly).

[Characters] \\ I really liked the characters in this one, though some of them I think needed more screen time, such as Giselle (the rich girl who has a crush on the main char). This is actually one of the few VN I can say where the main char is the most interesting character. He's hard-headed at times but he's such a lovable guy. Seriously, he not even close to a faceless protagonist, he is full of life and pretty unique himself. Even if you don't like the other characters, it's hard not to like him. I can't say much for the girls, but I did like Juni. She's a genki girl but in a good way (as in, not annoying or off the wall). Shunhua is the shy and quiet girl with glasses (she's a bit lacking in personality, imo) and Charlotte is sort of the tsundere but it's not very apparent near the end that she was ever a tsundere in the first place... XD

2 side characters are Hans and Signina who have their own little back stories which I thought was neat. :3

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By zonnikku at 2011-06-12

Overall, I'd say this was a nice short VN to play in my off time. Do give it a play if you want something short to keep you preoccupied, you won't be disappointed. :)

No comments: