Friday, April 23, 2010

Review: hi-chew: durian

Sooo I finally got my long-awaited durian flavored hi-chew in the mail from Japan today.

I ordered it off of good old ebay using the (small) amount of ebay bucks I had on my account that I mostly got from spending over $100 on headphones. So basically, I got the candy free of charge. YAY~~ FREE SAMPLE!~~

I know that I've eaten enough today already, but according to my pokewalker, I've walked 15,000 steps just walking through BSU's campus so I figure a few more calories and sugar won't kill me.

In case you have no idea what hi-chew is, it's a Japanese candy that's very similar to Starburst, except that it tastes a whole lot better. This flavor of hi-chew is part of the "World Fruits" series. Basically taking fruits from around the world and making them into hi-chew flavors. Some other kinds were lychee, jackfruit, mango, and probably some others I'm forgetting. But durian caught my eye because... IT'S DURIAN.

I mean, how could they possibly capture the distinctive smell and taste of durian in a candy? Anyone who's ever tasted a durian or smelled a durian in their life would know what I'm talking about.

So I just had to buy it for that reason alone. After eating an actual durian fruit and then eating durian ice cream from an asian market I fell in love with it. Most people probably won't agree with me, but durian is freaking delicious. It tastes like onion pudding. Now I know that sounds nasty, but it works.

So does the durian flavored hi-chew capture that certain flavor I'm looking for?

Well... not exactly.

Upon opening the contents of the package, I find that the candy is white and not yellow. Okey dokey. I smelled the candy, hoping for some rotting odor, but none of that came out. Okay. Now I took just the smallest bite... hmm... yes, this is a familiar taste... ooh, I think the onion part is coming... nope, wait... no... no.

Yeah... this is not durian. It tastes more like lychee.

It doesn't taste awful at least. Just not durian-like. Damn, no onion pudding fun this time.

hi-chew... I am disappoint.

No comments: